The constant barrage of sensual images from the media have trained the modern eye to seek more and more visual stimulation. The fashion industry has responded by providing clothing that is revealing and provocative to allow men and women to display their bodies in ways that draw attention to the flesh instead of the person inside.
The Christian is challenged to train his eyes to focus on what is pure and to choose clothing that reflects an inward godliness (1 Timothy 2:9-10). Like Job, we should train our eyes (Job 31:1) and follow the New Testament instructions to let our minds dwell on what is pure (Philippians 4:8). Jesus said that one who looks on a woman to lust commits adultery with her in his heart (Matthew 5:27-30) but women especially should be careful not to place obstacles in a man’s desire to think pure by wearing revealing clothing (Romans 14:13; 1 Corinthians 8:12).
Here are some resources to help men and women watch out for each others souls in this important matter (not listed in any particular order).
- Brent Hunter Sermon Series This includes web sites for modest clothing resellers in the Adobe Acrobat file for the second lesson in the series.
- Jonathan Perz Articles on Immodest Dress In this two part series, Jonathan discusses the Bible understanding of nakedness and the application of customs and modern standards to our understanding of this issue.
- Apologetics Press: Baby Dolls, Beauty Pageants, and the Sexualization of Children If the title doesn’t make you click, I don’t know what will. Discusses the disturbing socialization of sensuality among children.
- The Suddenly Uncomfortable Cheerleading Uniform Parents are disturbed after a man films cheerleaders at sporting events and compiles them into a sensual video. As bad as this was, parents need to reflect on what the girls were wearing in public as the man filmed routines they were performing in front of grandstands of hundreds.
- A Father’s Plea For Modesty Yes I wrote this article but, as the father of girls and boys I wanted to share some observations that I hoped would help parents and young people with this issue.
- “Whatever Happened to Modesty” by Michael Hyatt Great thoughts from a very popular blogger
- David Hartsell’s Alabama Winter Camp Class on Modesty Another great resource on the Godly Youth website. Be sure to look at the lesson on lasciviousness as it lays the groundwork for the lessons on modesty and lustful dancing.
I recently preached a sermon on Modesty and referenced many of these resources. Here is the audio. (February 15-17, 2013 series)